Bust and Mold of a Friend

Bust: 

 

Oil-based clay, metal armature

Mold: 

 

Plaster, oil-based clay, shellac, spray release, petroleum, metal rod, fabric 

2019 

First-time bust and mold making is harder than it looks. But it is also as enjoyable as it seems. 

This fall, I had enrolled in Cornell's Introduction to Sculpture Studio. In the course, the most laborious project was a 2-month partner bust and mold assignment. 

 

I learned how to take proper measurements of the human face, translate those measurements into clay, and make a mold from the finished product for a silicon rubber pour. The process took a lot of problem solving and patience. 

Along the way, I digitally scanned my partner's face to make an STL file for the Makerbot 3D Print Machine. The mesh needed repair before printing so I used Blender and Meshmixer. I did this in order to work despite my partner's absence.

The photos below show this process.

To the right is a two-piece mold that was created by first covering the clay bust in plaster, removing the bust, and placing a layer of oil clay within to act as a barrier between the new plaster fill.

 

This clay layer created a gap where the silicon pour would later fill. 

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED TO SABRINA HAERTIG 2020